Easy Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes Skillet with juicy seared steak and crispy roasted potatoes all oven baked in one pan. Nothing goes together better than garlic steak and potatoes!
If you love steak, you’ll go crazy for these ultra popular Garlic Steak and Potato Foil Packs, the BEST Ever Quick Steak Marinade, and Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce.
It’s been said before that I have the appetite of a man. I’m really not sure if that’s meant to be an insult or a compliment and I’m also not really sure to whom the insult or compliment would be directed. However, I took it in a good way.
I like to eat. Clearly. I like all kinds of cuisines, vegetables, fruits, desserts, and proteins. While I talk a big chicken game, I have a deep, unabiding love for all things beef. Sit me at a table and give me a big steak. I am not, nor have I ever been, ashamed to eat the entire thing in front of any date, girlfriend, family member, or child. The only thing I ask is that you don’t a) ask for a bite or b) try to take a bite without asking. You might lose a finger. Just sayin.
It was because of a craving for meat and also potatoes and also not cleaning up a bunch of dishes that I ended up making this dish for dinner the other night. I’ve found that three steaks is plenty for my family — my husband and I each eat one and the kids split the remaining one up amongst themselves. You can always get four if they are on the smaller side, but that’s about the max I can fit into my cast iron.
It was a quiet dinner simply because we were all so busy stuffing our faces with the delicious steaks and potatoes. Frankly, I’m not complaining. We have chaotic days just like everyone else and I’m not ashamed to say that, on those particular days, I’ll take some peace wherever I can get it.
- 2-4 petite steaks *see note
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-4 pounds baby potatoes, diced
- 2-6 tablespoons salted butter, soft enough to mash with a fork one tablespoon per steak, plus two tablespoons for the potatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl combine butter, garlic, and dried herbs and set aside. Season steaks generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides.
- Place skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with oil. Sear steaks for 2-3 minutes one each side until nice and browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add potatoes to the skillet, season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and saute 3-5 minutes until browned. Push potatoes to one side of the pan and return steaks to the other side of the pan.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender and steak is cooked to your preferred doneness.
- Immediately after removing from oven, place a dollop of the garlic butter on each steak and the rest on the potatoes and let it melt over the food before stirring the potatoes to coat in butter and then topping with chopped thyme and parsley before serving.